As this weekend approaches and we prepare to celebrate Canada Day 150, manjya finds it easy to appreciate this beautiful country that we live in. From the freedoms we enjoy, the respect and acceptance that we have for people of all genders, nationality and faith, to the magnificence surrounding us, we feel blessed to call Canada home.
If you have plans to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday, we hope you are happy and safe and surrounded by an abundance of food and drink, friends, family, and laughter.
We thought we would gather some ideas for red and white foods to help you with your Canada Day Celebrations.
manjya’s Canada Day Red and White Food Ideas:
- If breakfast or brunch is your thing, how about some waffles dusted with confectioners sugar, topped with fresh and local Ontario strawberries? Yes, please! Have you visited a local strawberry farm yet? Berries are at their peak right now. Visit http://ontarioberries.com to find a berry farm near you, or visit a local Farmer’s Market. Red strawberries on top of anything, or just on their own is the perfect Canada Day food.
- Are you on the East coast or lucky enough to have access to East Coast lobster? A big ole red lobster with a side of mashed potatoes looks like a perfect red and white meal for Canada 150 celebrating! Have you ever boiled a lobster? It’s actually easier than it might seem.
- Fill a large pot 2/3 full of water, add 1-2 TBSP of salt per gallon of water.
- Bring water to a rolling boil.
- Add lobsters, and bring back to a boil.
- The cooking time is dependent on the size of the lobster (based on individual lobster weight, not total weight).
- 1 ½ lb. lobster, 7-9 minutes
- 2 lb. lobster, 10-12 minutes
- 3 lb. lobster, 12-13 minutes
- 5-6 lb. lobster (that’s a BIG lobster), 18-20 minutes
- When the lobster is properly cooked, meat is creamy white all the way through, with no translucent areas.
- You can give a good tug to the antenna. If it pops off your lobster is done.
- Don’t forget some garlic butter for dipping!
If that sounds like too much work, you can easily book a personal chef from manjya to do the cooking for you!
3. Nothing says Happy Canada Day like red and white Maple Leaf sweets! Be it Canada Flag decorated cookies, cupcakes, or cake, we feel our beautiful and patriotic flag looks good on anything.
Get inspired by these fun Canada Day treats!
Remember, if cooking or baking is not your idea of a good time, manjya has many talented personal chefs waiting to serve you! Each has their own ideas for special Canada Day dishes and treats that express their personal passion, heritage and expertise. You can inquire about a chef from manjya here!
We would love to hear what your favourite Canada Day traditions and foods are.
Happy Canada Day!