The first long weekend of the ‘summer’ season is approaching quickly. Are you planning a party?
Nothing says summer party like a group of friends gathered in the backyard, and dinner on the barbecue. For the menu? manjya is suggesting a fan favourite: Shish Kabobs!
Kabobs are great because they are easily customized to individual tastes, so if you are entertaining a crowd, everyone gets exactly what they want. Meat-eaters, vegetarians, or those who like both will all be satisfied.
manjya’s Top 9 tips for Planning a Party and Shish Kabobs are the Main Event:
- If you have kids (or adults, for that matter) with a picky palate, provide them with an assortment of choices and let them build their own kabobs.
- You can cook almost any kind of meat, vegetable or fruit as a kabob. Just make sure that you use ingredients that will cook in approximately the same amount of time, on the same skewer. Otherwise some pieces will be done and possibly burning while others still have a ways to go. Making separate skewers with similar ingredients can solve this.
- Try to leave a little space between each piece (an eighth of an inch should do). This will help the heat circulate better and cook each piece more evenly.
- Marinating the meat ahead of cooking will provide flavour as well as keep the meat moist and tender. Put your favourite marinade and one inch chunks of meat in a zip-lock bag for at least one hour before you prepare and grill your kabobs.
- For something different, cut the meat into strips and marinate. Then put them on the skewers in a ribbon style.
- The marinade can also be used to baste the kabobs while they cook. This will add flavour and help keep them from drying out.
- You can use either metal skewers or bamboo. If you use bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 45-60 minutes before cooking. This will help keep the kabobs from burning.
- If you have trouble with the pieces sliding around when you turn the kabobs, try using two skewers instead of one. This will make it easy to turn each kabob without problems.
- When your kabobs are done, slide off the skewer onto a bed of your favourite fragrant rice.
Now, the only thing left to do is enjoy your Victoria Day meal and party with your friends.
Do you like this plan, but time is getting tight to pull it all together? Hire a personal chef from manjya! Our chefs can help you with planning a party that even Queen Victoria herself would be proud of.